Yosemite Area Online Forums Happening Now The National Parks at 100

1 reply, 2 voices Last updated by Profile photo of From LA From LA 9 months, 3 weeks ago
  • Author
    Profile photo of YAO Staff
    YAO Staff
    Keymaster
    @yosemitearea

The National Park Service (NPS) celebrates its 100th anniversary Aug. 25. Earlier this summer a new study put an overall value on the more than 400 national parks, monuments, scenic rivers, and historic sites in the NPS system. It asked a representative group of Americans if it was “important to me that National Parks are preserved for current and future generations whether I visit them or not.” Their reply: 94.9 percent agreed.

The survey also asked respondents to say how much extra they would be willing to pay annually in taxes over a 10-year period to ensure the existence of the national parks. The answer: $92 billion. The report went on to note that this “total economic valuation,” as economists call it, was a “conservative” estimate of the parks’ true value.

Read More: http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/the-monitors-view/2016/0809/The-National-Parks-at-100

So, we ask you… How much extra would you be willing to pay annually in taxes over a 10-year period to ensure the existence of the national parks?

Profile photo of From LA
    From LA
    Participant
    @FromLA

The National Park Service is very important to me. I would be willing to pay a lot to make sure it gets the funding it needs.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.